Wednesday, February 22, 2012

At Peace with my Kindle...Mostly.


So for Valentines Day Dan gave me a Kindle.  I was surprised because I've always said I didn't need one of those.  I like to hold a real book in my hands.  There's just something more genuine about that, and these days I seem to always have a battle in my heart to try to keep some real-ness around me in a world full of plastics and composites and personality-less chain stores (which I must admit I shop at).  And of course in my mind a book is associated with being in a book store or library where you can smell the books and feel the pages or curling up in a chair with a cup of cocoa and a sense of blissful calm.  I finally decided to keep it and I must admit I like it.  The kids love the games. I love flicking to the next page of a Neil Gaiman book that I only paid $4 for  with a slight brush of my pinky finger.  I love that I can browse Pinterest or maybe even catch up on Downton Abbey from my bathtub.  However, there are still a lot of books I'd rather buy used than pay $12 for, regardless of the instant gratification.  Often I can buy them on Amazon and have an actual book for less.  I have been buying a lot of used books lately though, and they do take up a lot of space.  Maybe it won't hurt to keep some of my library in a more compact location.  I do hope that soon someone cares enough to make a good web browsing content blocker, I did some research and they all look crappy.  Anyway, on to my super glue craft.  To make peace with myself  I made a Kindle holder out of an old book.  I tried to dig a hole in the book but it was too small and the edges kept ripping.  So I just removed a chunk of the pages and super glued some fabric on there.  One of the chapters was titled, "In which Andrew Reale improves an aquaintance and eats one magic dinner than is supposed to be healthy for a young man."  When I saw that I felt bad for destroying a book with such delightful chapter titles.  The Kindle does slide down in there even though it doesn't look like it in the photos.  I'd like to make a little velcro strap to hold it in safely, but we didn't have any, so this will have to do for now.  I did favorite a bunch of fabric cases on Etsy, and I will probably buy one eventually.  They are very cute and will bring me joy.
I also want to attach a picture of the faux fireplace Dan made me!  Please disregard the above segment in which I expressed my loathing for all that is not genuine.  BUT that is an antique piece there in the middle which I purchased off Etsy.  Can you imagine it in an old home somewhere very far east of Idaho many years ago?  That makes it okay, right?   I'm so proud of Dan, and so happy to have this up! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment